Here is a kashmiri chicken recipe from the kashmiri cuisine. It is a chicken dish, not very spicy but enriched with Indian traditional aroma. The main ingredient is tomatoes and the procedure is little different from other chicken dishes.
- Chicken leg pieces 8 - each 50 to 100 gram.
- Ginger paste- 2 tsp.
- Garlic paste – 2 tbsp.
- Kashmiri red chili powder-2 tsp.
- Fresh tomatoes – 4 medium sizes.
- Shah jeera ( black cumin seeds)- 1 tsp.
- Green cardamoms – 5 nos.
- Dried fenugreek leaves - 1 tbsp.
- Turmeric powder – 1 tbsp.
- Mustard oil -3 tbsp.
- Fresh cream (optional)-3 tbsp.
- Salt for taste.
Ingredients for Tempering.
- Cloves – 3 or 4 nos.
- Green cardamoms – 4 nos.
- Black cardamom – 1 nos.
- Whole red chili -3 nos.
- In a saucepan, add 3 large cups of water and bring to boil, crisscross the washed tomatoes and add into the boiling water.
- After few minutes, bring back the tomatoes into the chilled water and remove the skin.
- Now, make a fine paste of tomatoes.
- In that same boiling water add salt and ½ tsp of the red chili powder, add chicken pieces and cook until the mixture tenders.
- Toast black cumin seeds as well as green cardamoms and grind spices.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add chicken legs, in a medium heat roast the pieces, when the skin of leg pieces become light brown in color, remove from the heat and keep it aside.
- In remaining oil add ingredients for tempering. Also add ginger & garlic paste, red chili and turmeric powder and cook for a few minutes.
- Add grind spices (cumin and cardamom).
- Add the tomato paste and cook until the tomatoes are got rid of raw smell.
- Add chicken legs and salt, cover the pan and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add fenugreek leaves and ½ cup of water and cook for another 5 min.
Now a delicious dish of kashmiri chicken is ready to serve.
Now let’s talk about the health benefits of this dish. Along with taste, the Kashmiri chicken is full of many health benefits because of following ingredients:
Turmeric: The dish has turmeric, a wonderful spice that not only makes the dishes tasty and delicious but adds lot to good health.
Ginger: Ginger provides relief from muscle pain and soreness along with treating nausea and morning sickness.
Red chilies: They’re good source of vitamin C, a potent antioxidant that reduces the effect of harmful free radicals.
Black cumin seeds: These small but energy boosting seeds fight with fatigue and help in diarrhea, constipation as well as psoriasis.
Tomatoes: They are a rich source of lycopene, a carotenoid, which has been found to be useful in curing stomach, lungs and prostate cancers.
Cardamoms: They have manganese, a mineral required in trace amounts, which helps our body in regulating blood sugar and maintaining sex hormones.
Fenugreek leaves: They are good in maintaining our heart health, regulating blood glucose, stimulating digestion etc.
Mustard oil: An oil rich in heart friendly polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats.
And finally the chicken which is a good source of potassium as well a protein.
Side Effects of Kashmiri Chicken.
This recipe is generally cooked with broiler chickens which are considered unhygienic. The reason is they are processed with unsafe chemicals.
This recipe is not suggested for the people who are suffering from high pressure.
Also, if you’re attempting to lose weight, it is recommended to take this in moderation because a 100 gram serving of chicken has 240 calories.
If you love chicken then it could be one of the best chicken recipes for you. How many chicken recipes you have tried? Have you tried anything similar? Please don't forget to leave your comment.